More healthy Me and Dr. Seuss, of course!

Oh, gosh, here it is already Tuesday night and I haven't written a thing since Friday! Life has a way of keeping us busy and this has been no exception for me! It has been a busy few days!

We are still continuing our Healthy Me unit. The kids are really enjoying this and I am so pleased with the activities that we have been doing! Yesterday we talked about our lungs. I gave each child a plastic sandwich bag and we inserted a drinking straw into it. Then we closed the bag tightly around the straw and secured with scotch tape. The children then blew into the bag and noticed that the bag expanded. Then I asked them to take their hands and GENTLY collapse the bag. It was so cool to watch their little faces light up when we equated this to the way our lungs work! After that they colored a picture of their lungs and we attached both the lungs and the bags to the page in our body book! Here are a couple of my little kiddos enjoying the demonstration!

This week of course, we are also enjoying Dr. Seuss! I cannot believe how much my students LOVE these books! They can sit for hours listening to those silly words! :) They are doing some fun projects with a few of the books. Of course, we had to do something with The Cat in the Hat! I tried to find something a little different to do that wasn't making word families with "at" since that is what we did with our Lincoln
 hat project. So....... I had them make the cat in the hat with paper and then make a pattern with the stripes on their hat and then, they had to label their pattern. I was pleased with how they turned out! Check out a few of their creations.....
Lisa, one of my co-teachers also did this project and had her students make SUPER tall hats! I took a picture of her hats, too!

Another Dr. Seuss project we did was based on "Oh the Places We Will Go!" I wasn't sure if my little kinders would understand what Dr. Seuss was trying to say in this book, but they sure took away more from it than I thought they would! We talked a lot about the places we go when we travel and the types of transportation we use when we do travel. This works in perfectly with our transportation standard that we have in kindergarten! In a literacy center this week, each child painted the front of a white construction paper hot air balloon. (I adapted this project from an idea on Kim Jordano's website.) After painting their balloon, each child took construction paper scraps and made a representation of themselves from paper. How cute, cute they were! They glued this little person to the back of a brown piece of construction paper and then I attached this little person and basket to the hot air balloon. During Writer's workshop today, they started a story about where their balloon would take them. They are not finished yet, but hopefully they will finish tomorrow and I can post a few pictures of their stories!


No comments

Post a Comment