Space, Snowflakes, St. Patrick's Day, and a Great Group of Kids!

Let's see... 5 random happenings for this week.....

1.  We finished our Space unit with a trip to the planetarium. We are blessed here to have a top of the line planetarium. As a kindergarten team, we were so proud of our group of kinders. They listened. They interacted. They enjoyed. We have not done a Space unit for a couple of years, but after doing our Space unit this year, we decided that this was a unit that we just cannot delete from our curriculum. Can kinders learn about Space? Absolutely! We explored Earth, the Moon, astronauts, rockets, and our solar system in our unit! And then, just for fun, the kiddos created a make-believe planet... "On a distant planet, far, far away...." Click the image below to find my space unit!







2. My principal did an unexpected classroom visit on Monday and my kids were AWESOME!! It was our Daily 5 time and I had a group with me for "Teacher Time" while the rest of my kinders worked together cooperatively, they moved when it was time to rotate, and they listened and followed directions! Woo Hoo!


3.  We had the most beautiful snow on Wednesday! It was perfect for going outside and catching snowflakes on pieces of black paper!


4.  I love the CCSS for Math in Kindergarten! Our team is loving the fact that we are teaching standards that are deep! Honestly, in previous years, we felt that we were dancing all over our math curriculum. There were so many areas in our previous curriculum that were labeled as "introduce". We were introducing money, time, fractions........ too, too much for our little ones to absorb. Now we are concentrating on numbers, numbers, numbers and our kinders are understanding numbers as they never did before!

5.  A few months ago, Charlotte from Charlotte's Clips and Kindergarten Kids, contacted me and asked if I might be interested in a collaborative blog that she had started called "Faith Filled Freebies." I said "Absolutely" and our little group has been working faithfully to post religious materials that is free! It has been inspiring to me to be with such  a wonderful group of authors/bloggers! Click on the image to the left to visit our new Christian blog.


 6.  And finally (I know, I know this is SIX fabulous things!), I finished my St. Patrick's Day packet and I am sooo happy with how it turned out! It is totally based on the Common Core for Kindergarten for Math. I think it could be adapted for First Grade....
 Link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching to read about more 5 Random, Fabulous Wonderful Happenings!
Until next time!
Blessings, Cindy