Studying the Past with Native Americans and a new Thanksgiving (Then and Now) Story Pack

Hello Friends,

Wow... how is it possible that it is NOVEMBER? It still feels like school just began... and Friends, once the holidays come, don't the days FLY by? Soon it will be the second semester and we will be assessing our progress and wondering what direction to take our kiddos next.......Yikes!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Native-Americans-Make-a-Book-and-Mini-Unit-165447
So...... In November, we concentrate on the PAST and start our journey with Native Americans. Of all my products, this is the one that receives the most criticism. I have toyed with the idea of removing it from my store many times, but honestly, I stand by its' content. Every year, I listen to the constructive criticism I receive and make changes where necessary. It is a very fluid packet, so if you have purchased it in the past, please continue to check for revisions from time to time.

When I teach this unit, I am constantly stressing the fact that we are learning about Native Americans of the PAST. One criticism I often receive is that Native Americans are still present in the United States and continue to practice many of the traditions that I cover in my packet. I am very aware of this fact and truly, truly respect the present day culture of our Native people. BUT, this unit was written to teach children about the past and even though many of the ancient traditions are still practiced today, my emphasis is on the past.






http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Thanksgiving-Story-Then-and-Now-FOR-LITTLE-KIDS-1530569
I have always wanted to follow my Native American unit with a comparison of the story of Thanksgiving in the past and today. So... FINALLY..... I finished a unit that (hopefully) does just that..... After teaching Native Americans, we will compare and contrast the first Thanksgiving to our present Thanksgiving. It is one of my "FOR LITTLE KIDS" packs, so the story is simple and does not go into ALL the details of the First Thanksgiving. It was written as a supplement to your present study of Thanksgiving as well as your THEN and NOW unit. Two options for creating a student made book are given: 1.  Coloring book style pages that can be colored with markers or crayons and 2. Students create their own illustrations from ideas I have given or use their own ideas to create their pictures. This new unit is discounted today and will be regular price tomorrow.... 





Until next time!

Blessings,


1 comment