Columbus Day and Explorers





Hello Friends,

I know that history has shown us that Christopher Columbus is not the person that we thought him to be years ago. But my school and many schools like mine have a long weekend this time of year and it is usually based on "In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue." So.... I do a short and sweet activity with my kiddos that tells the basic story of Columbus. We then jump into a discussion of explorers and what explorers do. My kids love, love, love talking about exploration. This is a wonderful segue into map making, too.

As an introduction to our explorer activity, I told my students to pretend that they just discovered an island that no one has seen before. They were to create a map that showed all the things that they discovered. They could be real or make-believe things. They were enthralled and spent so much time creating their new land map. It was so much fun to hear them discussing their new land to one another!







If you are interested in this Columbus resource, you can find it by clicking the image below.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Christopher-Columbus-story-for-little-kids-158453

Until next time!

Blessings,