I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching again this week to list 5 Fabulous (and Random) things about my week!
1. Today is the first day of my spring break - woo hoo! We had an articulation day this morning that was over at noon and now I am completely free for 10 days! This is the first year for awhile that my husband and I have not planned a trip over these days. It seems a little weird to be staying here at home, but I think that once I get used to it, I will enjoy these unscheduled days. I have SOOOO many household tasks that need to be done and it will be nice to have a big chunk of time to accomplish them. Also, the University of Illinois is on break this week, too, so my husband and I might sneak over to some of the restaurants on campus that we usually do not go to because of the awful parking! Also, my garden is calling to me and I am hoping, hoping that there might or two when I will be able to get out there and start something. This is a picture of part of my garden last year... CANNOT wait to get back out there!
2. I love my March door and this picture does NOT do justice to it! Also, there is a leprechaun note still attached to the door that I did not notice when I was taking the picture - oh well! I like this door because the kites remind me of spring and the kids did a FANTASTIC job painting them! They used foam letters to put their names on the tails and glued their photos in the middle of the kite. I know to many teachers this looks a bit cluttered, but for some reason, it makes me smile every time I enter the room.
3. When I woke up this morning, there was a Mallard duck pair in my front yard! A sure sign of Spring!
4. My kiddos are flying through our Math core! Wow! I truly believe it is because of all the hands-on experience they get in their math groups. This week, when they finished their tubs, they had to go to the Tangrams tub and use those to solve shape puzzles. At first, they did NOT like being told that they HAD to do Tangrams; after all Tangrams take a lot of mathematical reasoning. But by the end of the week, they were flying through the puzzles and I think I might have to put out some new ones when we return from break. If you would like to have your students do the EASY counting fish activity that we did in one of our math tub this week, click on the picture to get the Google doc.
5. Finally, I received word that I was awarded the Girl Scouts Women of Distinction honor for our area. I am truly humbled by this award as I feel that I do no more than any other teacher does on a daily basis. Teachers are an amazing group of people and I proud to call myself one of them!